Tuesday, September 22, 2015

Theft and Vandalism by Supporters of Prime Minister Harper



I live in Conservative leader Stephen Harper’s constituency, and until yesterday the Liberal lawn signs outnumbered those supporting  Harper by four or five to one. Until yesterday. When I went on my daily walk around the neighbourhood yesterday, I learned that -overnight - almost all of Liberal candidate Brendan Miles’ posters had been stolen, and presumably taken to the landfill. The exceptions were the posters at major intersections, where the cowards who did this might have been seen. So were most of the posters belonging to the NDP candidate.

I suppose this was the Harper team’s way to celebrate the beginning of the last 28 days of the campaign.

Personally, I’m disgusted. Miles' supporters have knocked on more than 10,000 doors, I understand, and they tell me they have had a lot of positive feedback. I doubt that people in these neighbourhoods will forget that this political property suddenly went  missing. Following is a news release from Dr. Miles' campaign team.


The local Liberal campaign in Calgary Heritage, where Stephen Harper is the incumbent, was struck by vandalism and theft recently. Signs belonging to Dr. Brendan Miles, the only candidate born and raised in the riding, were the target.

“The malevolent feeling behind the sign vandalism is a reminder why we have put these signs up,” says Dr. Brendan Miles. “My mother and grandmother were distressed at the sight of my face being mutilated and cut with a sharp instrument, but my resolve to represent the residents of my home riding is stronger than ever.”

Most signs have been replaced, with the remainder scheduled to be erected by the end of the week.

Dr. Miles says that the positive reception of his message at the doors and on the phones is likely the reason behind the vandalism. “We’ve knocked on more than 10,000 doors, received record donations from area residents, and engaged every single person in this riding. We will not cede any ground in our fight to bring actual representation to the people who live here. The people of Calgary Heritage have had almost ten years of neglect. They need representation by somebody who has a vested interested in our communities. I’m not going anywhere.”

The Dr. Brendan Miles campaign also reports that smaller signs are missing – taken from homeowners’ lawns, in some cases. “We get calls by supporters to replace signs that have been stolen, and we get that done right away. We need to let them know how much we appreciate their support.”

Dr. Miles is offering $500.00 for information leading to the arrest of vandals defacing any election sign. “I don’t care about the colour of the banners of the other parties,” he said. “Emotions may be running high, but we can disagree without being disagreeable. These actions are wrong.”

When asked about his plans to erect more signs, the family doctor says that he won’t be deterred by thugs trying to dissuade people from being involved in the democratic process, and says that this is about community pride. “This is my home. After this election, regardless of the outcome, I’m still going to live here. The other candidate, can leave and go back to their homes in Tuscany and Bridgeland, but me, I’ll still be here, fighting for the best communities in Calgary.”

It is illegal to deface and steal election signs.  Anyone caught could face charges and pay fines.

About Dr. Brendan Miles

Dr. Brendan Miles was born, raised, and currently lives in the riding of Calgary Heritage. A family doctor, Dr. Miles is the only major candidate with a vested interest in the riding. He is running “to represent this constituency’s values to Ottawa.”

No comments: